This following the IATF’s GCQ implementation 

Postpone your Holy Week vacation plans and forget dreaming about the Baguio air breeze—again.

The Summer Capital’s Burnham lake boating will be among the attractions in Baguio City which is expected to again see life as the tourism industry opens on September 22. The Ridge and Reef tourism bubble with the provinces of La Union, Pangasinan, Ilocos Sur and Ilocos Norte will allow exchange of tourists between and among said places following a guideline that incorporate, safe, slow and sure rules. Photo By Zaldy Comanda
The Summer Capital’s Burnham Lake (Zaldy Comanda)

Following the bubble General Community Quarantine (GCQ) in National Capital Region (NCR), Bulacan, Cavite, Laguna, and Rizal or the “NCR Plus” as the National Task Force vs. COVID-19 called it, the City of Baguio has announced they will no longer accept tourists from the said areas, for the mean time. 

Hindi tayo tatanggap ng tourists (we will no longer be accepting tourists) coming from NCR and some parts of Region III and Region IV, specifically Rizal, Bulacan, Cavite, and Laguna,” Baguio City Mayor Benjamin Magalong said in a press conference on Monday, March 22, 2021. “That comprises about 70 percent of our visitors.”

📽 WATCH Mayor Benjamin Magalong's address during the flag-raising ceremonies:☝With the issuance of IATF Resolution No. 104 putting NCR, Rizal, Cavite, Laguna and Bulacan under GCQ due to high COVID-19 incidents, Baguio City will not allow entry of tourists from said areas from March 22 to April 4. This will result to a considerable downtrend in tourist arrivals as almost 70 percent of visita registrants come from said areas. Such restraint is however necessary to control mobility and prevent virus transmission.☝The city's COVID-19 cases went up by 100 percent in the previous week☝A four-day Aggressive Community Testing was conducted last week where a total of 2,641 residents from the at risk sectors availed. Of the number, 30 tested positive for a positivity rate of 1.2 percent.

Posted by Public Information Office – City of Baguio on Sunday, March 21, 2021

Even though this decision will have a big impact on the city’s tourism industry, Magalong said that they have to do this to control the mobility, since COVID-19 cases are shooting up again. 

Ang incident natin dito sa syudad ng (Our COVID-19 cases in the city of) Baguio went up by 100 percent,” he said. “We just had our active community testing for four days…the number of positive cases is 30 out of 2,041 which reflects about 1.2 percent.” 

Magalong told Manila Bulletin Lifestyle that this set-up is effective until further notice. “Until lifted na yung bubble sa NCR + 4 (Until the bubble is lifted in NCR plus the other four places),” he said through a text message. “Tentative is April 4.”

Summer wouldn’t be complete without our annual trek to the Summer Capital, but for the sake of our country and for things to go back to normal as soon as possible, staying home is our best contribution this season.


Source: Manila Bulletin (https://mb.com.ph/2021/03/22/oh-no-baguio-city-is-no-longer-accepting-tourists-from-ncr-plus/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=oh-no-baguio-city-is-no-longer-accepting-tourists-from-ncr-plus)